SAX textures for Wilco 737/Airbus series

Do you know something about FSX, or an aircraft, panel, scenery or an add-on for it? Post information and links about them here.
Captain
Captain

SAX textures for Wilco 737/Airbus series

Post by 779 »

I am going out to pick up the Wilco 737Pic and Airbus series at Fries but want to know
if anyone already has the texture files compatable with the Wilco A/C for our VA.
Thanks!

Fred Myers
SAX779
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: SAX textures for Wilco 737/Airbus series

Post by David Vega »

Hello Fred. No textures for the Wilco 737s since they're not the ones we focus on, the B737-700. For their airbus A320, we could do a livery. Do you have the PMDG B737-700?

David Vega
SAX702
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

I do not have the PMDG but what I'm doing is: whichever a/c models (mfr's) we focus on for your flights, I would like to be able to go and buy the versions compatable
with what we have or can make textures of. Let me know which addons I should get to be compliant with our current textures.
Thanks!
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

Fred:

If you are looking to buy a B737, you cannot go wrong with PMDG. It is an excellent addon!
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Yep. Gonna pick of PMDG 737 and the Airbus addon tomorrow at Frys.
I want to get them setup with the SunAir Textures.
By next month I hope to move up to the Airbus (another 30 hours?... yea I can do it)
The only flying I do now-a-days are SAX flights and I want to get more out my of equipment
then the stock a/c and freeware ones.

If you have an texture files/templates, let me know. I'd not mind to putting something together.

Fred-SAX779
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

The PMDG B737 textures are located in the SAX file library. Since you started this thread in the FSX addon area, I just wanted to make you aware that the PMDG B737 is only for FS9.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Like Marty said, the PMDG B737NG is for FS9. Unfortunately there's no payware B737-700 offering for FSX other than the Ariane model. That one is unreasonably expensive; searching popular forums on this product show lots of controversy.

The B737 for FSX offered in our files library is freeware, made for FS9 by Eric Cantu. There's one more freeware offering by Project OpenSky that could be used with FSX, but we don't have a paint scheme for that one. Would you like to evaluate that B737 on FSX?
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Alas, you are right-on about PMDG and FS9.. Well, I'd be happy to eval Opensky's model for inclusion and I'd be happy to develop
a paint job to-boot. Which Opensky model? the BBJ? I am particular to their models as they put a great deal of detail into them.
No VC but, it's free!

I'll download the BBJ-700 and check it out along with the base model for paint.

Fred-SAX779
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Oh and as an aside, still going to Frys and pick up Wilco's Airbus! I do not care for the Airbus we currently have and want to spend the 25 odd hours
I have to spend in it to be moderately realistic. Yea, I wouldn't mind SAX textures for it.

Fred SAX779
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Well, I picked up my new Airbus Series 1 (last one) and have the Opensky -700 (w/ paint kit) So I'll see what I can do;)

Fred SAX779
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Focus on the suitability for the airplane itself within the FSX environment...does it work? How does this model handle compared to the default FSX B737-800? Some have complained the OpenSky B737NG flight model is unrealistic, where OpenSky says it's more realistic than anything else available. Do tell how easy was to install in FSX. We would take this assesment to see how feasible is to prepare an autoinstaller.

Don't worry about the livery yet. Don't want to waste time if we don't go with the airplane, plus if we do, I could send you .psd files with the SAX symbols, etc.

Now, if you want to paint it for your own personnal use, that's a different story.
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Right. Will do. Will post an evaluation this afternoon sometime.
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

PMDG is working on a B737NG for FSX but is not released yet. I am betting that when it is released we will repaint it in SAX livery.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Well then, I suppose I'll wait for it then.
Back to Alaska for me.
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

To close out this thread... :shock:
Flew PAFA->PABR with the POSKEY 737-700 and it flew. Much heavier in it's handling.
You need to plan your turns a little more in advance than with our stock BBJ. Granted, I had a full belly
of fuel but.. There was a marked difference and I can see how people would not like it.
I have the Wilco 737 and will fly it tomorrow to see how profound a difference there is with IT.
I did a nice <-300 fpm TD on the centerline so I can't complain too much on POSKEY.

Fred-SAX779
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Thank you Fred. I also downloaded a POSKY B737-700 and tested it on FSX. I used their FSX model files. I also noticed that it takes more effort to fly than other offerings. I also think there's something wrong with how the engine thrust is modeled. For example, on takeoff the airplane wanted to go into warp speed using the same N1 setting I would use with the PMDG B737NG for FS9. On landing I had to kill the throtle way before the initial approach fix hoping to get established at a normal speed, but the airplane wouldn't slow down, even when I was level flying.

I will try again, and others reading this thread are welcome to try it and provide their comments. Doesn't look promising at this time.
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

I concur. On decent, I had to rein it in as it wants to go to 'warp speed'. My landing on touchdown was 136 knots@263 fps whereas I usually touchdown around 113-121 knots
Aileron control was also a bit odd. It was not the worst model I've flown but certainly not the friendliest, either.
It'll work in a pinch.
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

Fred:

If you want a good reference to flying the Airbus, take a look at Mike Ray's books.

http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=789
http://www.pcaviator.com/shop/viewAProduct.php?pid=896

The prices are a bit steep, but his knowledge, writing style and humor makes the books worth the price. I have his Boeing series.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Airbus book looks interesting enough. I'll ponder it while I'm finishing my newbie-time.
Still have another 25 or-so hours to go. So much flying, so little time.....So many other things -must-do... :?
I have Wilcos A300 series and like it very much. If we do not already have textures fitted for it,
do you mind if I have a go at it so I can fly our colors after I pass my 50 hour mark?

Fred
SAX779
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Fred,

I will email you the .psd files we have for the Project Airbus A320. Feel free to develop a livery for the Wilco model from them. I would like to offer your work to others. In order to do that, could you email me photos of your work for evaluation. I'm sure you will do a great job, but I must caution you, we're looking for a new painter. :wink:

Dave Vega
Captain
Captain

Post by 779 »

Sure! Anything I produce is FS public domain. My way of giving back to the community. :D

Fred