FSX under Windows 10

Do you know something about FSX, or an aircraft, panel, scenery or an add-on for it? Post information and links about them here.
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

FSX under Windows 10

Post by BearWhoTalks »

I was wondering if any one had tried to run FSX under Windows 10? I am still running 7 but I know that the time is running out for windows 7 Support. I wondered because I am having to reinstall windows 7 again and am finding it hard to get the updates installed (Still in search mode after an hour).

Have other flight sim platforms been considered?

PeterW
PeterW SAX 728
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: FSX under Windows 10

Post by David Vega »

Peter,

I'm still on Windows 7, but have read of many simmers that use Windows 10 with little to no problems. Most reported issue is with device drivers. If you're hesitant, upgrade. You can always revert back to Windows 7 automatically.

Dave
sax702
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

I am now reinstalling 7 after a system problem. I will stay with 7 as I don't enjoy trying to find drivers, etc., that work.
PeterW SAX 728
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

BearWhoTalks wrote: ... I wondered because I am having to reinstall windows 7 again and am finding it hard to get the updates installed (Still in search mode after an hour). ...

PeterW
The last time I did a fresh reinstall of Windows 7 and ran the manually activated "Checking For Updates" it took pretty much all night to run. And after finishing with the 100+ updates it still will take a couple of hours just to complete the manually activated "Checking For Updates". Doing a Google search for this issue finds this has been going on for some time now. It wouldn't surprise me that this is one of Microsoft's way of pushing everyone to Windows 10. I'm not convinced yet of moving from Win7 to Win10. If it isn't broke why fix it? :wink:
Dave Blake - SAX212
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

I think that must be the case. If I only did flight sim related activities, maybe I could get by without the updates but I am not sure of the security hole I would leave even with a virus scanner.
PeterW SAX 728
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

Some additional information: The update windows ran for 15 hours in search mode before it actually showed approx. 250 updates which it is now in the process of installing.

I believe it must be a tactic to force people to upgrade to windows 10 after all this.
PeterW SAX 728
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

New problem. I reinstalled my operating system and then installed all the updates. When I rebooted my system I got a message on the screen that an unauthorized firmware change had been made. The Windows 7 x64 I had installed had worked fine before the updates. I tried again from scratch and got the same problem. I have heard that Microsoft has done this before when they wanted to force an upgrade to a new operating system. I wonder which update caused this. I made the mistake of letting it update automatically.

Any suggestions?

I may have to take it to a computer tech.
PeterW SAX 728
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

BearWhoTalks wrote:New problem. I reinstalled my operating system and then installed all the updates. When I rebooted my system I got a message on the screen that an unauthorized firmware change had been made. The Windows 7 x64 I had installed had worked fine before the updates. I tried again from scratch and got the same problem. I have heard that Microsoft has done this before when they wanted to force an upgrade to a new operating system. I wonder which update caused this. I made the mistake of letting it update automatically.

Any suggestions?

I may have to take it to a computer tech.
I found this on YouTube. Maybe this will help.

Dave Blake - SAX212
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

It does and thank you very much.
PeterW SAX 728
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

If you don't mind, I have another question. I have read that it is best to install all aircraft add-ons by running them as administrator. I just finished loading the PMDG aircraft but ran setup without doing it as admin. Do you know whether there has been problems in the long run doing it that way. They seem to load okay.

I thought about uninstalling them but wondered if that might cause problems later on when I reinstalled them.
PeterW SAX 728
BearWhoTalks
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by BearWhoTalks »

I have solved the problem. I found out that Wilco Pub aircraft change the a dll file so that the "lf cr" are deleted. I did not install the Embraer series and I have no more problems. Since I also had video driver problems and some problems because of windows updates I had a friend low level format the hard drive and reinstall windows. I reinstalled FSX with addons but not the Wilco aircraft and the problems are solved.

Peter W
SAX
PeterW SAX 728