Do you know something about FSX, or an aircraft, panel, scenery or an add-on for it? Post information and links about them here.
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Anyone have experience using the PMDG 747 for FSX? I am wondering if it is worth the price.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: 747

Post by David Vega »

Peter,

Xavier Hutin is our B747 Chief Pilot. I'm sure he'll jump in with advice as soon as he sees this. I know PMDG is working on a new version, but nobody knows when it will come out. The expectations are sometime this year. I'm certain that it will cost more than the current version. I do own the current version and fly it occasionally. Keep in mind that it is an advanced simulation of most of the real B747 systems. For example, you have to perform manual fuel tank management.

Again, wait until you hear from Xavier.

Regards,

Dave Vega
sax702
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Thanks! I have other PMDG models and like their realism. PMDG just put out two upgrades, but I am not sure if they are an improvement from the original model.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

New info on the PMDG B747 product line.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/471944-19j ... try3270753
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by peterom »

Thanks.
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

I'm bit late, as Dave suggested I just looked at this..

PMDG 747-400X (FSX) is not an update of PMDG 747-400 (FS9), it is excatly the same product, final version is 2.10.0040 for -400X and 1.2 for -400, themselves updates of previous versions within each simulator.
There are some PMDG 747-400 differences between FSX and FS9 although excatly same products, engines sounds GE PW RR varie lil bit from FS9 to FSX and the FSX ones matche better the real 744 to my ears, the -400 is flying in FS9 environment which means limited behavior (hence final update 1.2 to match some FSX behavior), the -400X has views attached to its .cfg (PAX, GEAR, TAIL, some VC predefined), the -400 has VC windshield rain drop (I miss it in the -400X), and those differences are not due to PMDG but rather to the two FS9/FSX limitations..one is not in one but the other and vice versa.
Peter if you wanna buy the -400X go ahead :D http://www.precisionmanuals.com/pages/p ... /744x.html, it is exactly same as -400, if you already own it, and you'll have the FSX extras (PAX views etc, FSX behaviors ...)

This -400X is realistic airplane, complex aircraft, to name a FEW otherwise it will be too long post detailing the aircraft (if you own the -400 then you already know that lol): you'll have bleed operations, hydraulics, synoptics, fuel management, ailerons/speed ailerons/flaps/spoilers/speed logics...and most importantly IRS! if not present it will stay on the ground...etc etc, so if you're into it, fly it rather than the -400 or FSX default 744 :P.

BUT.......as far this -400X is realistic it is not realistic enough, meaning there are some important real aircraft behaviors, components, systems, parts etc that are not present or not correctly present, but credit to PMDG for bringing this Queen of the Skies in the first place!!
Again to make this post short just a FEW otherwise too long: incorrect bleed behavior in synoptics (bleed operations, engine start etc..) for instance if you have insufficient bleed duct and pull engine starter switch well it wont start, but in the -400X it will lol, and this is just for engine example,..bleed air from ground is always present even if no ground unit plugged to the aircraft and no demand had been made?...indeed I've been looking for this ground unit and can't find it :( lol, AND LIKEWISE (THAT ONE BUGS ME REAL TIME) WHEN THE AIRCRAFT IS NOT POWERED BY ANYTHING ELSE THAN THE BATTERY THE GROUND POWER IS AVAILABLE JUST BY MAGIC, NO DEMAND HAD BEEN MADE, NO GPU EITHER CAN'T FIND IT, BUT WHAT'S WORSE WHEN POWERED BY APU NO DISCONNECTION FROM THE "INVISIBLE" GPU AND BRAKES RELEASE PUSH BACK THE EXT POWER WILL STILL BE AVAILABLE IT'S LIKE THE "INVISIBLE" GPU IS PUSHING BACK ALSO LOL, THAT'S NOT REALISTIC AT ALL, another one..scavenge pump from center tank rips 1,000lbs off during the 2,000lbs x/,..flaps past 5 are not accurately represented, curve and displacement and slot gap, flap behavior/speed is incorrect, from 1 to 5 it takes too long compared to real 744 and why in this aircraft hyd/oil is same from startup to shutdown? yeah..when starting real 744 engines oil qty lowers by about 5qt, from 20 to 15, then some usage during flight, but in this -400X oil stay put at 20 from startup to shutdown lol, brake gauge not working...ETC ETC

But with Dave and Marty's hint I'm sure you know that after all it won't be necessary to buy the -400X as PMDG 747-400V2 is coming so we just have to wait a few! I'll be jumping in too, I can't wait!! :D :D
2015-7-25_12-37-3-10.jpg
2015-7-27_13-11-14-322.jpg
2015-7-27_14-39-47-343.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Xavier
SAX789