The Ever-Flexible FSX

Do you know something about FSX, or an aircraft, panel, scenery or an add-on for it? Post information and links about them here.
shackler781
Captain
Captain

The Ever-Flexible FSX

Post by shackler781 »

I recently purchased the Razer Tartarus to try with FSX and love it so far. It has 15 fully programmable keys that can store single keystrokes (Q or W), do multiple keys (shift+S), or store a series of key strokes into macros. I use it for things like altimeter settings and engine start/shutdown, as well as for things like one-touch opening sunairexpress.com/poc and logging me in.

I know many folks already have their keyboard setup with QWERTY key strokes, but I wanted a small device next to my panels I could program any which way I wanted and, so far, this is serving that purpose.

I also recently installed a small piece of software called “iwillbeback” wherein you can designate a certain number of miles after which the program will pause FSX. I’ve had a handful of flights recently where I had to run to the store and ended up longer than expected only to miss my decent, or start a long international flight before I go to work and then getting stuck in meetings during the time I normally would have been home to start the approach. It’s a small window on my second monitor and I can update it at any time. The link is below.

http://library.avsim.net/login.php?Loca ... ID%3D24428

This all speaks to the flexibility of FSX and the ability of end users to sim exactly how they want. I now fly with Saitek panels and yoke/throttle, Razer keypad, iwillbeback pause feature, and isg sim addon panels. When I noticed that the SAX 777 coupled with the ISG panel didn’t have a VOR needle for me to track arch arrivals and perform other maneuvers, I removed the backup attitude indicator and added what I was looking for from another panel. When I noticed the 737-700C I was testing for upcoming cargo routes had terrible aileron responses, I tweaked the config. I have changed airport ILS frequencies with third party software to reflect current nav charts and altered innumerable .cgf files to best suit my system and setup.

I have an unorthodox way of flying in FSX, as some of my less desirable landings and departures can attest to, but I always know that I can fly the way I want. And that is the fun of all this. Fly when you want, how you want, and where you want. Area 51, here I come!!! :mrgreen:
I’ll see you out there…
Shawn
SAX781
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: The Ever-Flexible FSX

Post by David Vega »

Thanks for sharing Shawn. Sounds like you're having lots of fun with your FSX setup.

Dave
sax702