FMC Panel Retrofit

Do you know something about FSX, or an aircraft, panel, scenery or an add-on for it? Post information and links about them here.
shackler781
Captain
Captain

FMC Panel Retrofit

Post by shackler781 »

There is a great retrofit panel product out there which adds a huge amount of functionality to default and freeware aircraft (link below). The biggest value for me is the inclusion of a flight management computer. I loved uising the PMDG and Level-D products mostly becuase I could alter my flight plan mid-flight, get descent feedback graphically, utilize holding patterns in a much simpler way than FSX default or even the turn-and-time method, and much more. The problem was that, with payware KTPA, KBOS and other high-res scenery, my computer stared getting gummed up while in the advanced payware aircraft.
I found ISG one day and started loading the retrofit panels others had created into the A320, B737, and B767 aircrafts. While your V-speeds, fuel calculations, engine settings, and overall aircraft realism aren't there, the FMC alone with the realistic MFD give me the added functionality I wanted without the heavy processor requirement.
The cost isn't that much (less than the PMDG 747) and you can use it in any aircrafty you want. Read independent review link below and see what you think.
I'll see you out there.

Shawn
SAX781

Product:
http://isgsim.com/

Review:
http://www.avsim.com/pages/0207/ISG/ISG.htm
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: FMC Panel Retrofit

Post by David Vega »

I've also have used this product, but on the default aircraft, and for the same added realism reason. Shawn, for your computer gumming up problem, have you tried optimizing your FSX? Best way I've found so far is going to this free site.

A different, more manual, approach is found here.

Another, again more manual, is found here.

Dave
sax702
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

I have tried tweaking the daylights out of FSX and my computer with little success on that specific issue, though I have since migrated to Windows 7 from Vista since I last used PMDG or Level-D, so it may be worth another shot. I am fairly happy with where I'm at, however, but would be curious if it was just an OS issue.
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Tell me how it goes, if you decide to try again. Hard to beat the realism of the PMDG NGX and the LVD 767. It's not only the FMC, but the way the jet behaves, etc., that makes a difference to me. Hope it works for you.

Dave
sax702
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

Shawn ,

I don't know your hardware but FSX is processor greedy lol.
I had same kinda problem with some custom scenery, ie Frankfurt, so uninstalled it.

We need at least 2 processors to help the computer do a decent FSX :)

And of course the more RAM and graphic memory helps too, but the culprit is lack of processor.power
Xavier
SAX789
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Xavier, have you played with the optimization links above?

Dave
sax702
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Xavier, have you played with the optimization links above?

Dave
sax702
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

There is no getting around the feel of payware, but if you don't mind freeware and don't have the dollars for better processing, then this adds a nice touch. I also use Accufeel for some sound and turbulence enhancements. I was running quad core with Windows on core 1 and flight simulator on cores 2 through 4 with 1gb graphics processor. Probably an os issue, but, again I am happy at the moment.
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

I see,

I had seen those links, but didnt notice anyhting better than just FSX with default fsx.cfg, so I reverted to default fsx.cfg with just few edits as far as TBM, HIGHMEM fix (some dont need this tweak, I do cuz I have nvidia lol), and load-radius (not set too high) and it runs as nice.
I have nvidia 2gb, I dont use nvidia inspector as my default nvidia control panel does same job.

It is not a desktop computer so for same specs I am worse off a desktop but FSX runs decent still, I have to set unlimited fps within FSX with PMDG 747 to get it run smooth(with the instruments displays, the flying etc), if I use the default C172 like most of FSX defaults I can cap the fps to 25-30 and it is smooth as smooth.

And DEFRAG that helps too, unless you have SSD lol.
Xavier
SAX789
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

I also like this retrofit because I can still use my Saitek panels, though I am sure you can build out use with payware with FSUIPC, but that's a lot to learn :)
Shawn Hackler
SAX781