Framerate dives regular

Have a tip, a problem or question about using Flight Simulator or your Computer? Here is the place to post them.
JohnnyT
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Framerate dives regular

Post by JohnnyT »

Hi,

I have a problem with framrate that drops down every 5:th second. It´s most obvious when I use a complex scenery.
Example: I´m in short final with a framerate around 13. Every 5:th second it drops to 3-5 fps. With that low framerate it is impossible to make a smooth landing. You should be happy if you get it on the rwy without craching. :roll:
I use WinXP SP2, FS9 but this phenomen I also experienced in Combat Flight Simulator 3.
I have upgraded svchost, Logitech joystickdrivers and a lot more.
Anyone who recognize this?
Is there any measurement I can do to solve wich process that is active every 5:th second?
Help! :cry:

Johnny SAX715
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Framerate dives regular

Post by Dave Blake »

Check out this topic about FS9 frame rates on AVSIM: http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az= ... c_id=33725
Dave Blake - SAX212
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Johnny,

I'm assuming this happens with all sceneries, or when you're landing at any airport. Based on your comment, it is worse when landing at an airport with complex scenery.

It could be that your hard drive is busy at the time when it needs to load scenery. This is only a guess. Perhaps the anti virus software is getting in the way. Trying to think what could be slowing the scenery display every 5th frame. I see that it should be something that is regular or rhythmic. Will continue thinking about it.

Regards,

Dave Vega
JohnnyT
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by JohnnyT »

The problem is solved!

David Vega suggested to install and run alacritypc and this was the key for me to change my thinking about the problem. This must be the most efficient way to run FS9 on any system, I thought. So when I was running FS9 in that way I heard the processor-fan was sounding like it was very strained every 5:th second. Since this sound was synchronized with the diving framerate, it must be a cooling problem. I dismantled the cooling fan for the processor and cleaned it from dust (about 60 % of the processor cooling was covered with dust). That was the reason to my frame rate problem.

It´s great to be back flying again! :D

Johnny
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

JohnnyT wrote:The problem is solved!

I dismantled the cooling fan for the processor and cleaned it from dust (about 60 % of the processor cooling was covered with dust). That was the reason to my frame rate problem.

It´s great to be back flying again! :D

Johnny
Ah, the dreaded dust bunnies! They can multiply very fast in a computer. :roll: I had a problem with a desktop computer at work just last week except the computer was overheading and shutting down. After I cleaned out the CPU and power supply fans with an airhose the problem was solved. Looks like its a good idea to clean out a desktop computer once a year.
Dave Blake - SAX212