Should the MD83 Be Retired?

Announcements for all Pilots and Officers.

Should the MD83 be retired?

No, I fly the MD83.
No votes
Yes and fly the MD83 flights with another SAX aircraft type(s).
17%
Yes and fly the MD83 flights with something new.
8%
Don't care.
75%

Total votes: 12

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Should the MD83 Be Retired?

Post by Dave Blake »

Since the SAX MD83 flights have seen very little use we are thinking about retiring the aircraft. If we do retire it we could replace the MD83 and have another aircraft fly the MD83 flights like the A320, B737 a mix of both, or maybe a new aircraft type. If you want something new to fly the MD 83 flights please post your suggestion here.

We want to know what the SAX pilots think. Please vote. Thanks and keep 'em flying!
Dave Blake - SAX212
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Marty_Becker »

I voted for the "Don't Care" option, though the BAE 146 would be an interesting addition if the MD83 was removed. The BAE146 is a popular aircraft in Europe. I'm not too familar with the MD83 routes, so I'm not sure if the BAE146 would fit the current type of routes.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
orac
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by orac »

One goal of the airline should be to reduce the number of aircraft types when feasible to take best advantage of economies of scale. Compared to the other types, the MD83 has few routes and few aircraft. I'd suggest reallocating the flights of N555SX, N556SX, N563SX and N565SX to the A320 (26 flight legs), and the shorter flights of N569SX, N575SX, N588SX to the 737 (24 flight legs).

As a matter of interest, I looked through the pilot logs today and found the 4 most recent users of the MD83 - Steve Monk at 30.8 hours in type, last flown Apr 27-07; Roy Brent at 85 hours in type, last flown Jan 11-07; Juanjo Guerrero at 50.4 hours in type, last flown Jul 28-06; and Jim Tilley at 59.6 hours in type, last flown Jun 2-06. They are also the only 4 pilots with more than 20 hours in type. Theirs are the opinions that should really count. [Data is based on the POC log book entries going back to mid-2005 or so.]

I do have one other slight reservation about eliminating the MD83 and that is I expect AS3 to have a wonderful flight model for it, and I'll want to fly it all over again whenever that product comes out.
___
Neil
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

For everyone's infromation, in the real world the MD80's are no longer in production. But I am sure they will continue to be flown by airlines until it become economical to replace them.
Dave Blake - SAX212
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

I also voted "don't care" and like Neil, I'm waiting for AS3; like the play, "Waiting for Godoh." If we retire the MD83, we could always bring it back on another market, like Canada or South America. Isn't it the fashion now to retire and return to the game within a couple of years?

Regards,

Dave Vega
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

I also voted "don't care". Like others, I have the background of flying AS2 when the MD83 was one of the main aircraft. Haven't flown the MD83 recently, though there are some interesting routes which I hope would be continued if the MD83 is retired. I too am looking forward to the completion of AS3!

Roy Brent
JohnnyT
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Post by JohnnyT »

I also voted "don't care". I love the MD aircraft and I fly it in Scandinavia but since I bought PMDG B737 I have became a "Boeing-freak". So when I want to make a MD-flight I change my uniform to Scandinavian Virtual Airlines outfit. 8)

Johnny
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

I enjoy flying the MD83, but I would be fine if the routes were divided up with other aircraft. I'll go with the majority......
JT
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

If we do end up retiring the MD83, how about a retirement group flight? Where in Europe do airplanes that are retired go? We could have a group flight taking some of our MD83s there. What do you think?

Dave Vega, SAX702
RichW
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by RichW »

I voted don't care because I don't fly the MD83. I think splitting the MD83 routes between A320 and B737 would be a good idea.

Rich
Richard Walls
SAX746 - ATL Hub
Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Pylet »

I don't care either mostly because I have built a B737 home cockpit that doesn't look or fly much like a MD83. I have flown it in the past and really enjoyed it. I heard that Alaska Airlines is getting rid of theirs to keep pilots more current in one platform rather than multiple ones.
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

The pilots have spoken and it appears that the "Mad Dog" will be retired.
Dave Blake - SAX212