SunAir Express 2016 Fleet Plan

Announcements for all Pilots and Officers.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

SunAir Express 2016 Fleet Plan

Post by David Vega »

Here's a look at SunAir Express Fleet Plan for 2016. We're seriously considering introducing the the Bombardier Q400 (DH8D) to replace the B190 in some routes and to fly new commuter flights. While the Majestic Software payware version is ranked by most as the best turboprop for a personal computer flight simulator, we need to find a freeware version. The only one we know comes from Premier Aircraft Design. Comments? Thoughts?
Q400.jpg
A320. We have 34 active A320s divided between SunAir Express and SunAir Europa.
A320.jpg
B190. We have 20 B190s flying the US. The latest flights for the B190 are in and out of Denver. Did you know you could fly a sequence of B190 flights from Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Denver, Colorado, and back? Some have suggested completely phasing out B190 and replacing it with the Q400, but I'm certain that some of you still like to fly the B190. Again, what do you think?
B190-2.jpg
B738. We have 108 Boeing 737-800s spread between the US and Europe. This has been our work horse since the subLOGIC ATP days.
B738.jpg
B744. We have 31 active B747-400s, between the passenger and the freight versions (B747-400F). While some real-world airlines are dumping their 747s, we plan to keep ours for a while. Maybe we can virtually buy some of those and add them to new flights. Some are hoping PMDG releases version 2 of the PMDG B744 in 2016.
B744.jpg
B763. We have 48 active 767-300ERs flying in the US. Some have proposed replacing these with Boeing's newest, the B787. Like with any new airplane in our fleet, we would need to find a good freeware version, and preferably a payware version. Does anybody know of one?
B763.jpg
B772. We have 47 active 777-200LR in our fleet. No plans for these, other than to keep flying them.
B772.jpg
E195. We have 23 Embraer 190 and 195s flying for SunAir Europa. Getting a lot of mileage flying in and out of Zurich with these.
E195.jpg
CRJ7. We have 54 Canadair CRJ-700s flying in the US. Some of you would like to bring some of these to Europe. Thoughts?
CRJ7.jpg
That's it. Please comment if I missed anything.

Dave
sax702
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: SunAir Express 2016 Fleet Plan

Post by Marty_Becker »

David Vega wrote: B190. We have 20 B190s flying the US. The latest flights for the B190 are in and out of Denver. Did you know you could fly a sequence of B190 flights from Phoenix, Arizona, all the way to Denver, Colorado, and back? Some have suggested completely phasing out B190 and replacing it with the Q400, but I'm certain that some of you still like to fly the B190. Again, what do you think?
Has the idea of moving the B1900s to Alaska been discussed? Ravn Alaska, formally ERA Alaska, uses them extensively for passenger and cargo thoughout Alaska.

http://www.flyravn.com/about-ravn/fleet-information/

Nice work on the Q400 paint job.

Marty
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Thanks Marty. Yes, moving the B190s to Alaska is one of the plans. Perhaps leave some in Denver?

Dave
sax702
RichW
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by RichW »

I'm looking forward to 2016!! It promises to be an exciting year. Retaining some B190 lines and expanding their operations in Alaska is a smart move.

I haven't seen any good B787 models yet but it is still a relatively new airplane. I'm sure some will come later. The B767 is a great airplane and although the Level-D model is getting old it is still an excellent sim. We might consider shifting some of the B767 routes to B777 and opening some cargo routes using the B767. I saw where FedEx committed to a large purchase and the Air Force selected it as the new tanker so the model will be around for a long time.

Once again thanks to Dave, David, and all the guys who make this a great VA.

Richard
Richard Walls
SAX746 - ATL Hub
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Thank you Richard. We have been moving some B777 from the Atlanta hub to Washington Dulles to offer international service from there. We may do the same with B767s and New York Kennedy. I also like the idea of using B767s for cargo operations.

Dave
sax702
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

I gave the FSX Premier Aircraft Design Q400 a quick pattern flight tonight. The package calls to use WINZIP to install the aircraft which I didn't have. I used the standard Windows "Extract All" command then copied the folder "dhc8-q400_x" to my FSX/Simobjects/Airplanes folder. Then I copied the folder "Groundhandling5" to my FSX/Sound folder.

The aircraft sure has a lot of power. And just like the B190, there is no auto throttle so you really have to watch your speed during takeoff or you'll be doing 250+ KTS before you know it. The viewpoint in the 2D panel is not the best for seeing the ground during taxi and landing but I was able to make an acceptable visual landing. The numbers on the electronic displays are not the easiest to read but you can mouse click them for a popup enlarged view.

Should SAX decide to add the Q400 to the fleet the Premier Aircraft Design will probably work as a freeware aircraft.
Dave Blake - SAX212
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

"................Some are hoping PMDG releases version 2 of the PMDG B744 in 2016. .........."""""""""""

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Xavier
SAX789
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Here is an article about an Q400 operator airline, and here is another about the Q400 itself. Note that in the 2nd article, the Q400 is offered as a more economical alternative to regional jets on flights between 400-450 nautical miles.

It seems that the markets for the B190 and the Q400 aren't necessarily the same. Replacing a B190 flight from a major airport to a small town with a Q400 would mean that most of the Q400 would be empty. Thoughts? Opinions?

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

Dave
sax702
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

For those that like the B747, the Smithsonian Channel has released an incredible documentary of the complete history of Boeing's 747 program. You can view here.

Dave
sax702
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

David Vega wrote:Here is an article about an Q400 operator airline, and here is another about the Q400 itself. Note that in the 2nd article, the Q400 is offered as a more economical alternative to regional jets on flights between 400-450 nautical miles.

It seems that the markets for the B190 and the Q400 aren't necessarily the same. Replacing a B190 flight from a major airport to a small town with a Q400 would mean that most of the Q400 would be empty. Thoughts? Opinions?

Hope everyone is having a great holiday season.

Dave
sax702
After looking over some of this info I could see the Q400 replacing the SAX CRJ7 routes under 450-500 miles. It could also replace the B190 routes serving medium to larger markets. Keeping the B190 for smaller markets might make sense.
Dave Blake - SAX212
airifr
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by airifr »

David Vega wrote:For those that like the B747, the Smithsonian Channel has released an incredible documentary of the complete history of Boeing's 747 program. You can view here.

Dave
sax702
This will still be the Queen of the Skies 8)

Why?....... First, that hump then all the rest being first doing it back in 69 in its category.
Xavier
SAX789
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Jim Tilley »

Love the fleet... Would enjoy using both the B190 and adding the Q400...Cannot fly the Embraer for some reason with the FSX...After takeoff and climbing to around 2000' it nose dives and crashes...Had the same problem with my FS9 version...Congrats for running an awesome airline... jt
JT
Rich
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Rich »

Love the livery on the Q400, Dave! All the liveries look great, and bringing a new prop airliner would be great too! Excellent job as always.
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

The Q400 looks like it could be a good addition. However, I have downloaded and installed the freeware Q400 and have yet to have it capture a glide slope. I thought perhaps I did not install correctly, but downloaded and installed again with the same results. The default prop planes that come with FSX have no problem with the ILS. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the freeware Q400 ?

I have found that most of the freeware aircraft we use have many problems. Because of this I almost entirely fly payware aircraft.

A mention was made of the Embraer. It is a great plane used even by many US airlines. However the freeware version is almost unflyable. There is a relatively inexpensive model of the E175 and E195 that works well.

Roy
SAX 680
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

kenyapilot wrote:The Q400 looks like it could be a good addition. However, I have downloaded and installed the freeware Q400 and have yet to have it capture a glide slope. I thought perhaps I did not install correctly, but downloaded and installed again with the same results. The default prop planes that come with FSX have no problem with the ILS. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the freeware Q400 ?

Roy
SAX 680
Roy, when you say the PAD Q400 aircraft does not capture the glide slope, are you trying to let the auto pilot capture and fly the glide slope or is it that the glide slope does not become active?

I have flown a few PAD Q400 flights now and each time when available the glide slope worked fine for me. However, I fly the ILS by hand and I have not yet tried letting the AP fly the glide slope.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

Dave Blake wrote:
kenyapilot wrote:The Q400 looks like it could be a good addition. However, I have downloaded and installed the freeware Q400 and have yet to have it capture a glide slope. I thought perhaps I did not install correctly, but downloaded and installed again with the same results. The default prop planes that come with FSX have no problem with the ILS. Has anyone else had this kind of problem with the freeware Q400 ?

Roy
SAX 680
Roy, when you say the PAD Q400 aircraft does not capture the glide slope, are you trying to let the auto pilot capture and fly the glide slope or is it that the glide slope does not become active?

I have flown a few PAD Q400 flights now and each time when available the glide slope worked fine for me. However, I fly the ILS by hand and I have not yet tried letting the AP fly the glide slope.
Roy,

I did some testing and the PAD Q400's autopilot does capture and follow the glide slope and localize for a hands-off approach to the runway's threshold.

I had the SOURCE set to NAV and the ILS frequency set on NAV1 only but it works with the ILS frequency set on both NAV1 and NAV2.

I had the autopilot switches set as follows: master ON, flight director ON, approach switch ON, all other AP switches OFF.
Dave Blake - SAX212
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

Dave Blake wrote:
Dave Blake wrote:

Roy
SAX 680

Roy,

I did some testing and the PAD Q400's autopilot does capture and follow the glide slope and localize for a hands-off approach to the runway's threshold.

I had the SOURCE set to NAV and the ILS frequency set on NAV1 only but it works with the ILS frequency set on both NAV1 and NAV2.

I had the autopilot switches set as follows: master ON, flight director ON, approach switch ON, all other AP switches OFF.
Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I am set up exactly as you have indicated and just flew another flight attempt taking off from KATL 26L and then attempting an ILS landing on 26R. I set an intercept heading to the runway and the localizer is captured and held. The altitude is stable as is the speed and when the glideslope needle starts to descend, the plane starts to descend with the needle, but never stabilizes going below the glideslope and staying below it. I have done the same approach in the basic FSX Cessna and it holds both the localizer and glideslope all the way to the threshold. As it is, this plane is completely unusable for me. I have not had this problem with other aircraft, but mainly fly payware.

Roy
SAX 680
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

kenyapilot wrote: Dave,

Thanks for the feedback. I am set up exactly as you have indicated and just flew another flight attempt taking off from KATL 26L and then attempting an ILS landing on 26R. I set an intercept heading to the runway and the localizer is captured and held. The altitude is stable as is the speed and when the glideslope needle starts to descend, the plane starts to descend with the needle, but never stabilizes going below the glideslope and staying below it. I have done the same approach in the basic FSX Cessna and it holds both the localizer and glideslope all the way to the threshold. As it is, this plane is completely unusable for me. I have not had this problem with other aircraft, but mainly fly payware.

Roy
SAX 680
Roy,

The PAD Q400's AP didn't hold the ILS "spot-on" for me but it was good enough to get to it the runway threshold and it never went below the glideslope.

Do you have the same instability issue with the PAD Q400 when flying the ILS by hand?
Dave Blake - SAX212
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by kenyapilot »

Dave,

Sorry for the delay in responding. When I try to fly by hand it is very difficult to track the glideslope. I can land the plane, but only with great difficulty, though I must admit that my standard practice is to use the ILS to around 500 ft above the runway before going to manual controls. This one seems much harder to deal with, probably because I also have to deal with the speed manually. I believe that is the standard procedure for the real life DH8.

This is an interesting aircraft, so think I will get the Majestic DH8 and see if I have better luck with it.

Roy
SAX 680
Martin Jensen
Captain
Captain

Post by Martin Jensen »

Overall this VA offers a great range of AC to fly - kudos for that. As Europe based pilot, I would love to see the CRJ getting a base over here...

Thx for all your hard work!

Martin, SAX797