Vertical Landing Speed

FAQ's and information.
Jim Tilley
Command Captain
Command Captain

Vertical Landing Speed

Post by Jim Tilley »

Does anyone know at what point the Vertical Landing Speed is measured. Does it begin at initial decent, final approach or somewhere in between. I try to keep my descent rates pretty consistent, but the averages seem to come out all over the charts. One day greaser club the next day big red ugly over-descending equations. Any info would be appreciated. JT
JT
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Vertical Landing Speed

Post by Dave Blake »

Jim Tilley wrote:Does anyone know at what point the Vertical Landing Speed is measured. Does it begin at initial decent, final approach or somewhere in between. I try to keep my descent rates pretty consistent, but the averages seem to come out all over the charts. One day greaser club the next day big red ugly over-descending equations. Any info would be appreciated. JT
I assume you are taking about Vertical Speed (VS) that FSFK records. My best guess is this vertical speed or touchdown rate is measured at the point where the mains make contact with the ground. Have you check the FSFK forum? http://www.molitor-home.de/FS/Forum/index.php
Dave Blake - SAX212
kenyapilot
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Vertical Landing Speed

Post by kenyapilot »

I have wondered the same thing. Recently my vertical speeds on landing on the A320 have not been good. If I look at a video of the flight afterward they look good. One observation I made was that using the panel that I am, when I am a bit off the ground, say 20-30 ft, and flaring, the First Officer calls out Spoilers indicating they are engaged. My touchdown takes place afterwards. That made me wonder if the touchdown was being marked by spoilers up rather than wheels touchdown. I have tried to go through the FSFK forum and have seen nothing about this. Also, for what it is worth, I ran both FSACARS and Flight Keeper on the same flight. Both recorded the same vertical speed. So again, what does all this mean?

Roy
SAX680