What is a Good On-time Rating?

FAQ's and information.
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

What is a Good On-time Rating?

Post by Dave Blake »

SunAir Express rates its pilot using an on-time rating based on scheduled block times (gate to gate). A flight is rated on-time if the pilot’s block time is within 12 minutes +/- of the SunAir Express scheduled block time. You may be wondering, what is a good on-time rating?

I am sure everyone wants to have a 100% on-time rating and everyone starts out with this high rating. Some pilots may think this is an unfair rating system since if you have just one flight that is not on-time, you will never have a 100% on-time rating again. This is true, however, being less then 100% may not really be all that bad.

The “Air Travel Consumer Report November 2005 Key On-Time Performance and Flight Cancellation Statistics” list real-world airline on-time rating for this period as follows:

Highest Airline On-time Rating: 95.2%
Next Highest Airline On-time Rating: 85.3%
Worst Airline On-time Rating: 74.6%
Overall Average Airline On-time Rating: 80.0%

Based on this real-world report, I would have to say that if your on-time rating is 80% or better you should be proud of your on-time rating. And I am please to say that SunAir Express as a whole has a very good on-time rating.

Keep up the great work pilots, and keep 'em flying!

Air Travel Consumer Report November 2005 Key On-Time Performance and Flight Cancellation Statistics: http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/2006/ ... 01_06.html
Dave Blake - SAX212