My First Across the Big Pond Flight

FAQ's and information.
Nate R
Captain
Captain

My First Across the Big Pond Flight

Post by Nate R »

hey i was planning on flying one of the jim routes tomarrow from KORD to LSZH i know flying over the ocean is different and was wondering how exactly i would go about programming my pmdg fmc for this. Normally i just to to fsroute and have that download the info to the fmc i dont think i can do that with nats n stuff any other info would help... thanks a bunch

SAX747
Nate
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

As suggested on the SAX flight plan route field, I used the web address listed and went to Route Finder. I then entered the departure and destination codes, set a target enroute altitude range, enabled NATS, then pressed Find Route and there is your route for your big pond crossing for today. NATS routes change daily in the real world.

If you want, you can copy the clearance at the bottom of the page (less the departure and distination codes, DP and stars) and then go to FSRoute.com and have it generate a flight plan for download. You may need to do a little editing of the route to eliminate any fixes that FSRoute can't find. Then when you import the route into your FMC or FS9 Flight Planner you may need to manually enter the NATS fixes in longitude and latitude.

The reason that the SAX flight plans do not have route clearances for the big pond-crossing flights is because the routes change daily in the real world due to the weather and jetstream.

I don't have the PMDG 737 so maybe someone else can help with programing the FMC. Hope this helps.
Last edited by Dave Blake on Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Nate R
Captain
Captain

Post by Nate R »

hey thanks for the help i think all i have to figure out now is how to put like coordinates into the fmc like 50N050W if anyone knows how leme know plz and thanks.
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

It is exactly as Dave said. Nate, you could use FsRoute and export the route to PMDG. You'll see how the lat long are entered. You can also check the PMDG manual. It's in there. dv
Nate R
Captain
Captain

Post by Nate R »

yup gotcha thanks
chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by chriszdc »

Nate - also you can put them in like the route program says - 5320N 5310N - the navdata has the fixes programmed for lat/long - check the docs for the other formatting - 45N40 = N45 W140 4540N = N45 W40

or you can type them all out N5300.0/W02000.0
Command Captain Chris Saunders
SAX 411