Squawkbox 4

Questions and comments about using VATSIM, Sqawkbox, VRoute, ServInfo or VAT-Spy
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Squawkbox 4

Postby Dave Blake » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:40 pm

Just read this about SB4 for FSX at http://squawkbox.ca/news/

Posted October 12, 2006:

Microsoft Flight Simulator X will release worldwide in a matter of days. Or if you found a particularly overzealous retailer, you may already have a copy. I'm excited about this release because the folks on the development team at Microsoft have really outdone themselves with their work on the SDK. For the first time ever, developers like myself have had access to the SDK prior to the product's release, which has given us a shot at updating our products in time for FSX's retail release. In addition they have completely overhauled the way the SDK works, allowing add-ons like SquawkBox to enhance the flying experience like never before.

This is both good news and bad news. The good news is that SquawkBox will continue to support this and future versions of Flight Simulator. Specifically, a number of former hacks and their associated inconveniences are now implemented with both elegance and improved performance. The bad news is that Microsoft's complete overhaul of the SDK has necessitated at least a partial overhaul of SquawkBox itself. This has made a lot of work for me to get SquawkBox running with FSX. There is also a greater potential for new bugs and issues with the next version.

As you already know, I'm working away on SquawkBox 4 for FSX. Here is a brief list of the items remaining in that effort:

The version that runs within the Flight Simulator UI needs to be implemented, i.e. the former "module mode". Currently it runs as an external application only.

A few quirks with the transponder panel need to be worked out.

The installer needs updating.

Running SquawkBox and Flight Simulator on two separate machines still has some issues.

Getting a version to the current list of beta testers is not very far away. And since I appreciate that many of you would prefer early access to a less-than-perfect version over waiting for the final release, I plan on doing a public beta when the product is ready for that. Such an arrangement would require VATSIM approval of course but I think it's the best way to go with this release.

As always, stay posted to this page for further updates!
Dave Blake - SAX212

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Squawkbox 4 for FSX

Postby Dave Blake » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:23 am

Squawkbox 4 Open Beta Is Now Available!

Brian Gefrich and Joel DeYoung are pleased to announced that after a long wait, a public beta of SquawkBox 4 is now available to try on the VATSIM network. This version of SquawkBox works with Flight Simulator 2002, 2004 and FSX. It has been tested on Windows XP and Vista. Download this latest beta version and help find and resolve the last outstanding bugs.

The main Squawkbox site can be found here: http://www.squawkbox.ca/

Please use the Squawkbox forums to report or discuss any issues: http://www.squawkbox.ca/forum

The following issues are already known to occur:

- Transponder module may toggle to "ACTIVE" when connecting to a server, regardless of current setting. You may still set the transponder to STANDBY mode after the connection is made.

- Switching your sound device in the settings while receiving a voice transmission can cause crashes.

Download the SB4 open beta via one of the links found here: http://squawkbox.ca/downloads

Enjoy!
Dave Blake - SAX212

Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Squawkbox 4 for FSX

Postby Marty_Becker » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:25 am

In the Squawkbox forum, it is suggested that one uninstalled SB3 before installing SB4 Beta. Take that into consideration before trying SB4. There is also a post that says that if you are using FS2004, there is really no reason to upgrade to SB4.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

Return to “VATSIM / Squawkbox / VRoute / ServInfo / VAT-Spy”