Accessing VATSIM with Zone Alarm Enabled

Questions and comments about using VATSIM, Sqawkbox, VRoute, ServInfo or VAT-Spy
Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Accessing VATSIM with Zone Alarm Enabled

Postby Marty_Becker » Mon Dec 26, 2005 6:09 pm

Has anyone who uses Zone Alarm had problems logging into Vatsim? I have looked on the Vatsim and Squawkbox forums without finding a solution. When I disable Zone Alarm, I can connect; with it enabled, I cannot. I have given the FS2004 and SB super powers in the program control, but still cannot connect.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Dave Blake » Mon Dec 26, 2005 11:50 pm

When I first started using Squawkbox and Vatsim with Zone Alarm v5.0 I had the same problem. I read somewhere that Zone Alarm v5.0 had this problem with online multiplayer connections and to try Zone Alarm v4.5. I changed to Zone Alarm v4.5 and the problem went away.

I would have thought by now that they would have fixed this problem with v6.0 but maybe thay haven't (I'm still using v4.5). If you want the free version of v4.5 let me know and I can send it to you (about 5 megs). Then you can try it to see if the problem goes away. And 4.5 is still a good firewall, at least I haven't had a problems.
Dave Blake - SAX212

Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Marty_Becker » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:03 am

Dave:

I got online by turning off my program control. I still have an inbound firewall active. I found in the logs that ZA was blocking FS9.exe going out. I still haven't figured out why it's blocking FS9 because I've given it full access outbound.

A short time ago, I was observing at KATL and saw SAX579 depart.

Thanks!
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Dave Blake » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:53 am

With Zone Alarm I leave both the Internet Zone Security and Trusted Zone Security control settings set to Medium. When I have the Internet Zone Security setting to High I cannot connect with FS9 or any of my Instant Message messagers. And the Medium setting still keeps unwanted connections off of my system.

One more thing, since you are using a third party firewall (Zone Alarm) you do not need to use the Windows firewall and you should turn that one off. If you run both firewalls at the same time they can conflit with each other.
Dave Blake - SAX212

Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Marty_Becker » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:51 am

Dave:

I checked and my Windows firewall was already off. My Internet Zone Security and Trusted Zone Security are at Medium. At least I can connect now and I know what the root cause is. I'm waiting to see if I get some other information on VATSIM - SB3 forum.

Thanks!
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby chriszdc » Tue Dec 27, 2005 12:55 pm

Hey Marty

Did you post a question on those forums? There is lots of 'free' help out there 8)

Welcome to online flying. I still blame Lyle for all my time lost (gained) by online flying. I still like to fly with my AI traffic, but the online stuff is awesome. All of those virtual ATCs make for an interesting flight. I've had to hold, many go arounds because I'm too high or to close to the traffic in front. It's nice having the reality of life intrude sometimes :wink: Last flight - SunAir B744 from Paris to Frankfurt, I had to go around (actually a touch and go :P ) with the ATC - I never would have had that flying by myself. On flight to Zurich, I was very short final in the B744 and someone taxied into position without clearance. Controller ' SunAir 902 go around', I was at minimums and had to go. Man, was I BUSY. :P Loved every second of it....

Chris

Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Marty_Becker » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:32 pm

Chris:

It is very interesting. I've been observing a couple of times since yesterday. Was just at MDW and someone came into the session and appeared at the approach end of 31C, making a SW 737 go around who was on a 1 mile final to 31C.

Yes, I posted a note on VATSIM - SB3 forum.

How is it flying over the the European area? I bet it is very different. Alot of my VFR GA flying is done using Switzerland Pro.

I have a headset on order, so hopefully I can join in on an upcoming SA flyin.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby chriszdc » Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:24 am

Marty

Yea, it is annoying when someone connects on the runway or taxiways. That's one of the no nos. I think it is just inattention on their part. Make sure you turn off collision with other aircraft before flying online. Even when you start at a gate, it happens that another person has chosen the same gate. :) Then you just slew over to a free spot.

You can also start flying now with receive only. You have to respond with text, but you still get the voice transmissions. One tip, make sure you have the squawkbox window active before typing! Or else you will drop the gear etc..... (that has never happened to me :lol: - why is this airplane losing speed? duh, the gear are down at FL370...)

Europe is interesting, they are very professional. Some of the phraseology is different, but the same. Line up and wait instead of position and hold. Or taxi to holding point for runway 7L. They have different names for controllers too, Centers are either control or radar - Langen Radar or London Control. Approach are called directors in some countries. They are usually speaking the local language to local pilots, English for us :wink:

Flying into Moscow was fun, Russian being spoken to everyone but my buddy and me... Russia and China use meters - maintain flight level twelve thousand three hundred meters. :shock: I have a chart if you need it :)

I would suggest you have a little experience before flying into a major flyin.

Another tip - if the contoller sound is low hit the Q button to silence your Fsim sounds briefly.

I'm a real controller at Washington Center and I think 99% of VATSIM controllers sound like the real thing.
Chris

kdundon
Command Captain
Command Captain

Hi Ole Friend

Postby kdundon » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:44 am

Marty, long time since I saw you online. I rejoined a few months back also after a ten year hiatus. use Zone Alarm and have version 6. It is a registered version and not the latest. I held up on the updates after 6.0.631 because of an annoying kill/allow pop up. If your reg I can forward it to you. I also live in the Chicago area so I could get you a cd with it on it. Ken 007

Marty_Becker
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Marty_Becker » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Ken:

My work-around is just to turn off the program control when I fly online. I have the lasted registered version, but don't have any of the kill/allow pop up you mentioned.
Marty - SAX054
8 NW of KORD

Return to “VATSIM / Squawkbox / VRoute / ServInfo / VAT-Spy”