Flying on VATSIM while using FS9 Weather

Questions and comments about using VATSIM, Sqawkbox, VRoute, ServInfo or VAT-Spy
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Flying on VATSIM while using FS9 Weather

Postby David Vega » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:06 pm

I have tested twice flying on VATSIM and using FS9 real weather. The drawback is that my on-time averages are suffering due to the interesting winds aloft. :( I've also seen precipitation.

Just disable the weather under SB options, and enable FS9 real weather as usual.

Dave Vega

Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Pylet » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:01 pm

Which had the most realistic weather condtions at the time? VATSIM or FS9? Just curious because if VATSIM is the most up to date wx then we probably should be using that and checking for winds aloft before take off. Just because we don't like one weather system doesn't mean it's the wrong one to use.
Command Captain Lyle Kirgan
ATL Hub Chief
SAX 0272
B737NG Home Cockpit Builder

David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby David Vega » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:58 pm

I think FS9 Wx is closer to reality, but the drawback is how FS itself handles the transitions. When switching from one area to another, the winds just switch drastically. Sometimes one can hear the autothrottle going crazy trying to keep with the changes. Sometimes one gets into overspeed conditions.

VATSIM Wx doesn't seem to model winds aloft as well, but the result is that there are very minor wind shifts. It also doesn't seem to support any kind of precipitation. VATSIM Wx also seems to lag about an hour from real Wx.

This is what I've seen so far. I'm sure others will post their observations. After all, the objective is to learn while having fun.

Dave

pylet wrote:Which had the most realistic weather condtions at the time? VATSIM or FS9? Just curious because if VATSIM is the most up to date wx then we probably should be using that and checking for winds aloft before take off. Just because we don't like one weather system doesn't mean it's the wrong one to use.

chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby chriszdc » Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:17 pm

I know it cost $$$ but, the very first addon I would buy is Active Sky. They just released the enhanced version. It smoothes the wind changes, has awesome cloud effects and even wake turbulence from AI traffic (be careful, it will rock your world on short final :twisted: )

If I could only have one addon it would be this -

http://www.hifisim.com/

David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby David Vega » Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:45 pm

Chris, what kind of performance impact would we expect from Active Sky?

Dave Vega

chriszdc wrote:I know it cost $$$ but, the very first addon I would buy is Active Sky. They just released the enhanced version. It smoothes the wind changes, has awesome cloud effects and even wake turbulence from AI traffic (be careful, it will rock your world on short final :twisted: )

If I could only have one addon it would be this -

http://www.hifisim.com/

chriszdc
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby chriszdc » Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:59 pm

hmmmmm there are many factors on the performance issue. The programmer has tweaked it very well. The program has many options that can effect frame rates - I have fairly beefy system and I have all the bells turned on in Active Sky - except the 512bit clouds (they crush me if more than scattered) I'm running max 5 layers, to 80miles, all 3d, dense, enhanced overcast (this adds another layer) and usually the only time I really take a frame rate hit is in Alaska (where they always report 5 layers it seems like) and anywhere there is more than 2 BKN layers. It's not huge hit, but if you have massive AI traffic at complex airport with Active Sky maxed out, you will notice it. That said, for me, at it's worst, I still love it - at it's best, it's incredible. Like my buddy said yesterday, I don't want to leave the cockpit now. I might miss an interesting cloud. :wink: really, it's that good.

Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Pylet » Wed Oct 12, 2005 9:37 am

I just picked it up based on Chris's previously posted pictures and reports so I'll see if I can bring this 3Ghz girl to her knees with it. I'll let you know this weekend.

ATL Hub Chief

SAX 0272

kdundon
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby kdundon » Thu Oct 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Been using ASV since it came out. Had 4.5 before that. My times are close to what is programmed in your schedules and I use ASV exclusively. Hope this helps. Ken

Pylet
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Pylet » Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:51 am

I just flew route 115A with ASV 5.0 and the cloud formations were AWESOME. The winds aloft were right on the money as well. I parked the jet at the gate 1 minute early from the schedule. Excellent program.

ATL Hub Chief

SAX 0272

Return to “VATSIM / Squawkbox / VRoute / ServInfo / VAT-Spy”