New User

Questions and comments about using VATSIM, Sqawkbox, VRoute, ServInfo or VAT-Spy
peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

New User

Postby peterom » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:54 pm

I tried to use VATSIM last night. I connected okay, but when trying to get clearance, I could not understand the controller (spoke to quickly and quietly). I had to disconnect because I couldn't go further. Is this normal?

Also, I used VATSIM today, but since no controller was available for KSFO, I used unicom (122.80) to broadcast intentions. Does this happen much? I noticed the San Jose tower was available, but I didn't think this was the place to go in order to get clearance.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339

David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: New User

Postby David Vega » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:28 am

Peter,

Sometimes it's difficult to understand VATSIM controllers because they speak too fast or lack diction. You are in your rights to ask the controller to "say again". If you still don't understand, you can ask the controller to use text. You did the right thing to use Unicom when there was no controller available. Here's a good link in VATSIM that helps with airport communications, including where to obtain clearance. http://www.vatsim.net/prc/prc-genlession/airport-atc-procedures/

David Vega
SAX702

peterom
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: New User

Postby peterom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:37 am

Thanks! I asked the controller to "say again", but was no better. Great idea to ask the controller to use text. I'll try it in the next few days.
Peter Meyerson
SAX339

Return to “VATSIM / Squawkbox / VRoute / ServInfo / VAT-Spy”