Resume FSACARS after FS9 crash?

Questions and comments about setting up or using FSACARS.
orac
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Resume FSACARS after FS9 crash?

Postby orac » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:15 pm

Has anyone successfully resumed logging a flight after FS9 crashed to the Windows desktop? How 'bout after a hard reboot of the computer? What are the exact steps involved in resuming FSACARS logging?
___
Neil

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Resume FSACARS after FS9 crash?

Postby Dave Blake » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:35 pm

orac wrote:Has anyone successfully resumed logging a flight after FS9 crashed to the Windows desktop? How 'bout after a hard reboot of the computer? What are the exact steps involved in resuming FSACARS logging?
___
Neil

I have never resumed a FSACARS log but I found this in the FSACARS manual under this topic:

2.3 Stopping/Resuming Log

Resmume Log: If FS Crashes FSACARS reverts to a pause state and asks you if you want to resume the log. If the answer is yes FSACARS will continue the log. Note: Make sure that the flight is stable before answering yes otherwise FSACARS could log wrong values.

Of course you will need to have some way to restore your flight to the point when FS crashed to desk top, like an auto save utility that would save your flight every minute or so. I see no way to resume a log from a hard reboot since FSACARS would also have to be restarted.
Dave Blake - SAX212

David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby David Vega » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:48 am

It could be the case that FSACARS keeps its log, even if the computer crashes.

FSACARS logs the flight data in a file. FSACARS deletes this file after one submits the flight. One can manually open this file and see basically the text information that FSACARS will submit. But, be warned that once the file is opened, FSACARS deems it "corrupt" and won't allow it to be submitted. Why am I saying all this? It could be the case that if FSACARS is interrupted, like during a computer crash/reboot, FSACARS finds the log file, upon restarting, and automatically offers the user the option to resume log. Haven't tested this, but it makes sense. Like Dave said, one would have to reposition the airplane as close as possible to the interruption point before resuming log.

Evidently it isn't working for Neil, so I would be interested in knowing if this is the case for everyone else.

Dave Vega
SAX702

orac
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Postby orac » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:42 pm

I've seen the offer of "Resume Log?" after FS9 crashes. But to hold that question, FSACARS has to remain running while you go and restart FS9. As far as I know, that function works. But if FSACARS is closed and restarted (such as after a hard reboot), the only option I get when it starts is "Aircraft parked at departure airport?" (can't remember the exact wording). I don't see any way to resume a log if FSACARS is restarted.

I have played with the log file several times in an attempt to recreate the remainder of a flight that I had to complete without FSACARS running, and every time I've done so, the "submit log" option reports there is no log file to be found. So, I'm wondering how FSACARS knows I've tampered with the file?

___
Neil

jww12112
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby jww12112 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:38 am

Ok, I know this sounds crazy, and beleive it or not, I have resumed two (2) flights after my laptop stated a "FS CRASH". I have 2G of ram memory, upgraded from 512mb. Really. What a difference going to 2G. Anyway I had raised up some of my sliders on world detail of scenery. I seems I had raised em a bit too much. Before lowering them a bit, it seems my ram memory was full and FSX had crashed (twice), two different flights. My computer stated "FS CRASH" in a popup window. Instead of clicking yes or no in the resume flight popup window box, I just move the window out of the way, again, I just moved it out of the way, say to the far side of my screen, I did not exit the box out, like click the "X" in the upper right had corner, (Not to over emphasize the point but just to make sure I'm stating this right), and click my arrow (pointer) on the screen to go back to my Flight sim, and continue my flight, since my FSX is still running. I have noticed my flight sim will only continue for a short time thereafter, say @ 10-15 minutes max. Or as to my personal experience. FSACARS will also open a window asking to resume log or exit out. Click to resume log and FSACARS had continued to log flight events. Again, I use FSX, and this has worked a couple of times, and had it not work on others, the other times which did not work was because I had too much flying to go. I had to continue another 2 or 3 or more hours and when the FSX crashed again, I could not continue and had to shut down because it finally locked up. I have not tried to reboot FSX and try to resume the log, not too mention having to resposition your plane, forget it. Thats way out of my envelope of computer capabilities. Hope this helps anyone. Again, I didnt know it would work, just trial and error.

Jeffro/SAX766

Captain
Captain

Postby 779 » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:23 pm

For those who run into memory overrun errors, typically those with 4 gigs and over and who
run FSX with their graphics set HIGH, I would recommend visiting this page.
It addresses the 2 gig memory limit and how to adjust for it. I have done so and now I no longer
crash, especially during those long, arduous 8 hour journey's over the pond!
I run AMD 4Core w/ 4gigs RAM/Nvidia 1Gig ram.
I also run all of my graphics set at HIGH.

http://www.simforums.com/forums/printer ... ?TID=25758

Hope this helps anyone.

Fred
SAX779

Return to “FSACARS”