POC Flights in Progress Map Airport Data Update

Questions and comments about setting up or using FSACARS.
Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

POC Flights in Progress Map Airport Data Update

Postby Al O'Brien » Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:37 pm

When using FSACARS, the POC does not display my NM flown or my NM to destination or ETA. I am not using VATSIM is this the reason.
Al SAX067

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: POC Flights in Progress Map Airport Data

Postby Dave Blake » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:17 am

Al O'Brien wrote:When using FSACARS, the POC does not display my NM flown or my NM to destination or ETA. I am not using VATSIM is this the reason.
Al SAX067

I have seen this on occasion. I think this is caused when one or both the departure or destination airports are not in the FSACARS database.
Dave Blake - SAX212

Al O'Brien
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Postby Al O'Brien » Tue Aug 01, 2006 12:12 pm

That makes sense. Am using it now between frankfurt and rome and it is reporting both parameters.

David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby David Vega » Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:28 am

Credit goes to Dave Blake for finding the cause and the fix.

In the FSAcars folder, usually C:\Program Files\FSAcars, there's a file named apt.txt. This file has the airport information FSAcars uses to determine distances. If either your departure or destination airports aren't on this file, FSAcars can't determine distances. This also means that you can't use the FSAcars feature to pause the simulator so many miles before the flight plan's destination.

To fix the problem:

1. Wash your hands, this is surgery and you don't want to kill the patient. :D
2. Backup the file.
3. Carefully edit the file with any text editor, such as Notepad, and add the missing airport and the lat/long.

You can find the lat/long information from http://worldaerodata.com/. :idea:

You could edit it right away and replace the ICAO code for Hawaii's Honolulu International from PHIK to PHNL. Though PHIK is the code for Hickam AFB, which shares the runways with Honolulu Intl, our flights are scheduled for Honolulu Int, not the Air Force base.

Dave Vega
SAX702

Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Postby Dave Blake » Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:14 pm

David Vega wrote:In the FSAcars folder, usually C:\Program Files\FSAcars, there's a file named apt.txt. This file has the airport information FSAcars uses to determine distances. If either your departure or destination airports aren't on this file, FSAcars can't determine distances. This also means that you can't use the FSAcars feature to pause the simulator so many miles before the flight plan's destination.

To fix the problem:

1. Wash your hands, this is surgery and you don't want to kill the patient. :D
2. Backup the file.
3. Carefully edit the file with any text editor, such as Notepad, and add the missing airport and the lat/long.

I have updated my "apt.txt" file to add some missing and incorrect airport information. With this updated file all current SAX airports should now be listed correctly on the POC FSACARS map.

Here is the list of airports I corrected:
Change: UGGG to UGTB, LESJ to LEPA, KIKR to KABQ, PHIK to PHNL.
Added: KDRO, KISO, KJKA, KMQI, KMQI, KMVY, KMWA, KPSC, KSEZ, KXNA

You may replace your apt.txt file with my updated one. I strongly recommend that you rename your old apt.txt file to something like apt_old.txt for a backup before adding the new one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

JohnnyT
Senior Captain
Senior Captain

Postby JohnnyT » Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:21 am

Thanks Dave!
You made it a lot easier for us. :D
Johnny

Return to “FSACARS”