Check ride questions

A forum dedicated to recurrent pilot advancement
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Check ride questions

Post by shackler781 »

Hey all,
I am new and loving it so far. Quick question about check rides for new aircrafts. Am I correct in thinking that I have to fly the desired aircraft for the minimum number of hours utilizing FSacars logs and send them in and then send the required docs and vids to HR after I meet those hours? If not, how do I log hours for a new aircraft?
shackler781
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Check ride questions

Post by Dave Blake »

As a new SAX pilot you are "Left Seat" rated or "Pilot in Command" in the B190, CRJ2 and B737. After you acquire more flight hours you will be "Right Seat" rated for a new type aircraft. With a Right Seat rating you can now fly the new aircraft type as a "co-pilot" so you can gain experience in that type aircraft. When you feel comfortable flying the new type aircraft you may take the check ride in the new type aircraft. After passing the check ride you will be "Left Seat" rated for the new type aircraft.

To find out which aircraft you are rated to fly and to see if you are Right Seat or Left Seat rated go to the POC and List Pilots then choose your Pilot Stats (not logs).

The OPS Manual curretnly list minumum flight hours for aircraft types as follows:

Aircraft Type Rating - Minimum Flight Hours For Check Ride
B737 Type Rating - Every Pilot Holds This Rating
B190 Type Rating - 0 Hours *
CRJ2 Type Rating - 0 Hours *
A320 Type Rating - 50 Hours
MD83 Type Rating -75 Hours (Note: The MD83 was retired from the fleet in 2007)
B767 Type Rating - 200 Hours
B747 Type Rating - 300 Hours

* Pilots that complete the initial Pilot Evaluation Program when joining SunAir Express are Left Seat rated for the Beech 1900D and Bombardier Canadair Regional Jet CRJ-200 type ratings along with the Boeing B737.
Dave Blake - SAX212
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

So I need, for example, 50 hours flying the 737 before I can submit for A320 left seat rating?
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

Okay, I am slow sometimes. So I fly my current aircraft for the minimum hours then I can co-pilot the next aircraft? How do I co-pilot an aircraft? I really appreciate your patience.
Shawn Hackler
SAX781
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

shackler781 wrote:So I need, for example, 50 hours flying the 737 before I can submit for A320 left seat rating?
Actually, you only need a total of 50 flight hours in in your log book, not just the B737.
Dave Blake - SAX212
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

shackler781 wrote:How do I co-pilot an aircraft? I really appreciate your patience.
Since current flight simulators will not let you choose which seat to fly from (pilot or co-pilot), when you are "right seat" seat rated for a new aircraft type you get to actually fly as the pilot.

The idea is that after you build flight hours you can fly a new type aircraft if you want. And as soon as you understand how to fly the new type aircraft you can take the check ride for it. When you pass the check ride you will be Left Seat rated in the new type aircraft.
Dave Blake - SAX212
shackler781
Captain
Captain

Post by shackler781 »

many thanks
Shawn Hackler
SAX781