Last Christmas for American Airlines MD-80 Fleet

Any general information you wish to share.
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Last Christmas for American Airlines MD-80 Fleet

Post by Dave Blake »

American Airlines MD-80 fleet is celebrating its final Christmas in service. For the past 36 Christmases, American Airlines MD-80 have been carrying families to see grandparents over the holidays. The venerable McDonnell Douglas jet has flown for American continuously since 1982. By September of 2019, the remaining aircraft will be retired.

Read More Here ---> https://www.avgeekery.com/this-is-the-l ... -80-fleet/
Dave Blake - SAX212
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Re: Last Christmas for American Airlines MD-80 Fleet

Post by David Vega »

A great airplane that's sadly going away. Someone not long ago told me they heard from a friend that's in aircraft maintenance that the MDs just never break and that's why some airlines like AA and Delta where still using them. Did SunAir Express ever use the MD83? I think I remember flying it a while ago. Today it's all about fuel economy which increases profits for the airlines. Looking forward to new airplane types in the SAX fleet. Wouldn't mind seeing an A220 slowly replace the CRJ7 and/or the E195. It would also be nice to pick up the B787.

Dave
sax702
Dave Blake
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by Dave Blake »

David Vega wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:37 pm Did SunAir Express ever use the MD83? I think I remember flying it a while ago.
Yes, SAX did fly the MD83 "Mad Dog" for use with FS98 and FS2002. The MD83 SAX livery is still in the SAX file library near the bottom in the "Archived Filed" section.

I remember logging some SAX flights with the MD83. If I remember right the panel was all analog, no glass displays.
Dave Blake - SAX212
David Vega
Command Captain
Command Captain

Post by David Vega »

Here's a good video of the A220.

I do remember the MD83 now. Yes, many hours of flying that one. I do remember that when I visited Simon Hradecky in Austria, he showed me a small model of an MD83 that he said was his inspiration for AS2. There's an MD8x simulation for FSX and P3D called Fly the Mad Dog X. They have an MD83 variant. See this video for it. Surely looks a little better than the one we used to fly.

Dave
sax702